About 30 years ago, the microwave was invented, and ever since has been an invaluable help in the kitchen. It heats and cooks up meals for you way faster than the stove. This incredible invention was a luxury and a significant relief, and soon it turned into a necessity for every home. The newer generations don’t know how to prepare meals without it; our kitchens have become dependent.
Not every dish is microwavable, though. The microwave oven uses electromagnetic waves and radiation to heat the food. Often, this radiation acts as a catalyst for chemical reactions in the food items, which leads to the food becoming degraded or downright toxic to consume.
Ask anyone who’s done this before, and they will tell you, heating fish in a microwave is not a great experience. It releases a foul stench that will have you retching violently. Reheating fish is never a good idea. It becomes completely inedible. It loses all the moisture and becomes crispy and dry.
Cooking green veggies in a microwave takes away the nutrients, defeating eating leafy greens altogether.
The radiations can turn the nitrates present in the leaves into nitrosamines, which are toxic and whose ingestion can lead to cancer. There are chances that the leaves can catch fire in the oven, and your food will get burnt. The best practice would be to steam the vegetables.
Sadly, everyone’s favorite snack – Pizza, isn’t an easily microwaveable dish. You technically can reheat pizza in a microwave, and it wouldn’t turn toxic, but the taste doesn’t remain as delicious. The crust turns moist and gummy, and the cheese extremely rubbery and hard to chew. If you want to reheat pizza, do it either in a cooking pan or in the traditional oven.
Microwaving rice is a big no-no. Rice reheated in a microwave can cause severe food poisoning. If rice is left at room temperature for about a day, it grows bacteria in it. The best thing would be not to leave rice for leftovers. The bacteria are heat resistant, and reheating only increases the breeding of the bacteria. Eating such food can cause Diarrhea and puking.
Processed meat contains an ingredient that raw meat doesn’t, and that is – preservatives. Preservatives are chemicals used to increase the shelf life of meats. Reheating processed meat in the microwave oxidizes the cholesterol and turns the preservatives into toxins. Eating such meat can lead to higher risks of cardiovascular diseases. A radiation-free approach would be to cook the meat on a stove.
Fruits And Mushrooms
Unlike Spinach, fruits like grapes, gooseberry, and beets are not well suited for the microwave. Grapes and gooseberry turn into plasma – a form of matter between the liquid and gaseous state, turning them inedible, and the nitrates in beets turn carcinogenic. It’s better to eat these foods raw anyway.
It’s not wise to heat foods prone to bacteria, like rice and chicken, in a microwave. The microwave heats food from the outside, while the inside of fat foods remains uncooked, which results in the bacteria remaining alive. Chicken should be heated thoroughly inside out so that there’s no risk of salmonella infection. Cooking on a skillet instead of a microwave would be the best strategy.
Remember never to put hard-boiled eggs in a microwave oven. Heating an egg in a microwave makes it explode, no matter whether it’s shelled or unshelled. Sometimes they explode, not inside the device but after the fact. This can cause a big mess of things, and you can even get burnt. It’s a risky experiment and one that should be avoided at all costs.
Most Chinese food can be eaten even after it’s cold. It doesn’t degrade in taste, nor does it become infested with bacteria like some other foods. If you want to heat it, do it in a pan over the stove. The microwave makes Chinese food mushy and moist, rendering it inedible.
Peppers shouldn’t be cooked inside a microwave oven. They contain an organic compound called Capsaicin. This compound which gives the pepper its intense heat, begins to evaporate in the microwave. When you open the door to the device, a pungent smoke floods the air around, and the Capsaicin can get in your eyes and breath, causing burning sensation and irritation.
Reheating a watery soup is fine, but when you heat thick puree soup in a microwave, it can spell problems for you. The soup doesn’t heat up evenly inside-out inside it and can splash and explode everywhere. You can put a wooden spoon in the bowl and stir the soup every 30 seconds to avoid any liquid explosions, but the safest bet would be to heat it on the stove.
This is food that you shouldn’t even risk trying to heat in a microwave. New mothers often freeze milk and save it for later. Breast milk contains nutrients that are necessary for babies, and heating milk in the microwave destroys them. Uneven heating of the milk can also result in a variable temperature gradient in the milk and burn the baby’s mouth. The best way to thaw the milk is by heating a bowl of water and then placing the milk bag in the warm water.
The microwave is a great tool to fix up a quick snack, but it’s also a machine that works with electromagnetic radiation, and it’s important to know what foods you should use the device for and when we shouldn’t use it. For instance, you must avoid putting cardboard or plastic utensils inside the microwave. Aluminum foils and other metals also shouldn’t be placed in the microwave oven.